National Eating Disorders Association

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Alexo_eats
Really Need Some Help

So today went okay at first. My doctor said that vital wise I'm doing pretty good. Then everything went downhill at lunch. My mom caught me doing a pretty bad behavior (don't want to be specific for triggering reasons) and I'm very ashamed. I'm worried that my mom hates me now. I was feeling really awful, and depressed. I contacted the Neda hotline, I tried to re frame my thoughts to avoid restriction. Which was successful, I did complete my snack. Which I know I should be proud of but I'm not. Now it's dinner and my dad was upset with me. I asked him to wash his hands because I didn't see him and I get worried about contamination. He got irritated and yelled at me. I have already been feeling pretty down, and started crying. He reacted with that I wasn't going to eat dinner now and that I have to eat it later. He left me alone, and I can sense he is pretty irritated. Now I'm really struggling. I don't know what to do. I'm afraid that everyone hates me. I know that is irrational but I'm so scared of being hated. I just messed up today big time.

Alexo

TimeToShine
Stay Strong

The people on here don’t hate you. It’s not your fault you didn’t see your dad wash his hands, and you shouldn’t blame yourself. Do your parents know about your ED? Just don’t let this get to you, and keep fighting. Let us know later how you feel. <3

Alexo_eats
Parents know

My parents do know. It been about a year now. I feel ashamed for everything. :(

iwanttolive
Alexo_eats

Hi. I am so sorry that this happened. Were you able to eat dinner? I know you are trying. Sometimes those closest to us have the least patience which is so not good. Are you able to talk with your dad, perhaps tomorrow and explain to him more about what happened and ask him why he reacted the way he did. I am sure that may be difficult to do. Please try not to allow these things keep you from eating. Easier said than done.

For me, after fourteen months of no behaviors I have been overeating more than I would like to. My sister is critically ill and living with my roommate is challenging, to say the least. We are waiting for a bed to open up in Ohio, we live in New Jersey so it is a far way off and my Mom is tired and everything is off kilter. I know better than to turn to food to cope. It is so not going to help. So the same is true with restricting. It may provide a temporary feeling of relief, but as we all know, it doesn't last. Please try to take care of yourself even when others and family don't understand. We are here for you. I am glad you posted and reached out for support.

iwanttolive and I am

Alexo_eats
Thank you

I was able to complete dinner, thank you for asking. I coped by enjoying a funny movie with my sister.