National Eating Disorders Association

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
lovetowrite81
Psalm 4:8

"In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, Lord, make me dwell in safety." Psalm 4:8.

I have been reflecting on this a lot this week as I go through Psalms- how we try to seek safety and security in so many things that don't really provide the peace we are looking for. I know for me I have tried to create a sense of security in only eating certain foods/restricting, getting to a certain weight/my body looking a certain way, trying to seek re-assurance and certainty from my boyfriend/in my relationships, filling my schedule with more things/trying to stay busy and engage in meaningful work.

But at the end of the day, clinging onto all of these things are just attempts to shield myself from painful emotions and intense fear- and it is only until I am willing to stop turning to my eating disorder or other forms of escape- and am willing to face the sadness and anxiety and pain as they come- that there can be growth and healing.

It's been powerful to think about-- how ED might feel safe to us because it's all we've known for so long but it's really only an illusion. It may be temporarily numbing the pain but is really only delaying the process of feeling it. Only in the Lord do we have complete safety- there is refuge in His unchanging, unfailing love. I hope that everyone can feel courageous in taking one step away from clinging to ED and into trusting that they can surrender even in the midst of fear this week <3

tryingtobebrave
Thank you for this wonderful

Thank you for this wonderful post. I agree with everything you said, and found a lot of wisdom in your words. I will take one step forwards into surrendering this week.
Love, Braveheart

iwanttolive
Lovetowrite81

Hi!!! I really like what you wrote and it is so true. For me, I thought the eating disorder was keeping me safe, and running to all those hospitals, as awful as they were was keeping me from having to face the real world and believing the lie that being sick was safer than not. All lies that almost took my life. I have always liked butterfly's for two reasons. One; they represent new life in Christ. Two; no one can pull the butterfly out of the cocoon before it is ready to come out or else it will die. God knows the perfect timing and I also think this is true for recovery. He knows when we will be ready to let go of what we think is keeping us safe. Then three; I know I said two, but there is another one: once out, I can not go back in because it is a place of death. It is no longer an incubator preparing me for life. That has to be done in the not always not so good places, situations etc. In the Bible it talks about how trials strengthen out faith, cause us to rely on God, and then we get to help others because we know what it is like. So that is my butterfly story.

I am proud of all the hard work you are doing. It isn't easy to feel, to experience life's painful situations and memories and all of that. God promises us His peace.

Right now I am trying to have that peace as I am here in bed and my mother is in a hospital after having a catheterization and then they had to put a stint into her heart valve. I was told not to go to the hospital. I am too dizzy to drive that far as my blood pressure is very low. I am on a new med for that and I need to increase the dose. Trusting God is something we learn. Paul said that he learned to be content in all circumstances. It doesn't come naturally. We have to practice it.

Well, I am just going on and on. I am glad you are processing and working so diligently on your recovery. Your recovery muscle is getting a good workout!!!

iwanttolive and I am

P.S. Thank you for such a kind and loving response to my post. It really touched my heart. You are so special and one day a bunch of us are going to meet and we will be able to hug and have a party!!!!

lovetowrite81
Iwanttolive

Hi Iwanttolive-

I'm so glad you resonated with what I wrote! Thank you so much for sharing this insight about butterflies- I really like what you said about God knowing the perfect timing for us to come out of our cocoon. That's really cool to think about, how in all of the ups and downs with ED, that God brought us to exactly where we needed to be- to now be able to walk through life only clinging onto Him in the hardships.

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement! I will now go look at your other posts for updates regarding your mother.

So grateful we are able to support and be there for each other!! <3

_admin_moderator
Medical Signs and Symptoms

For precaution we just wanted to post up some signs and symptoms to look out for.A person does not have to be underweight to have an eating disorder or to require emergency medical care for one. Seek medical help immediately if you:• accidentally or deliberately cause yourself a physical injury• become suicidal• experience confused thinking or are not making any sense• experience delusions (false beliefs) or hallucinations (experiencing things that aren’t there)• feel disoriented; don’t know what day it is, where you are or who you are• vomit several times a day or have uncontrollable vomiting or diarrhea• experience dizziness or fainting spells• feel too weak to walk or collapse• experience painful muscle spasms• complain of chest pain or have trouble breathing• observe blood in your bowel movements, urine or vomit• have a body mass index (BMI) of less than 16• have an irregular heart beat or very low heart beat (less than 50 beats per minute)• have cold or clammy skin indicating a low body temperature or have a body temperature ofless than 35 degrees Celsius/95 degrees FahrenheitOr for any other serious medical concerns.If you experience any of the above, we highly recommend seeking medical attention as soon as possible. Another option is 911. Seek medical help soon on an outpatient basis if you:• have significant heartburn and/or a burning sensation after eating• have other gastrointestinal concerns• have high blood pressure• struggle with significant joint or muscle pain• have difficulty sleeping (falling and/or remaining asleep)• struggle with fatigue, sudden weight gain, and/or hair loss• have frequent urination or unquenchable thirst• have gained and lost significant weight repeatedly• have gained significant weight in a short period of time• struggle with chronic diarrhea or constipation