National Eating Disorders Association

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
todded
Treatment Options for Long-Term ED?

Hello all,

This is my first post in this (or any) eating disorders-related forum or group. I'm a 29-year-old male (former competitive distance runner) who has struggled with a variety of eating disorders for close to the last decade. For me, disordered eating started with extreme caloric restriction for the first few years, followed by years of back and forth between binge eating and periods of restriction. At the present time, I'm dealing with what I know is a very unhealthy behavior pattern. As you might expect, those patters involve semi-frequent overexertion and injury. I've also developed an all-or-nothing mindset where I either am able to track everything I eat and hit my nutrition goals perfectly OR have very large binges. More often than not, I find myself "staying on track" during the workweek, then bingeing during the evenings of each weekend, often surpassing X calories on days of binges.

Intellectually, I know I'm doing short and long term damage to my mind and body (which, at moments, is utterly terrifying), but I find myself cycling through periods of motivation and utter hopelessness and am at the point where I know I need outside help (in some way) to begin on the pathway toward some kind of recovery. Does anyone have thoughts or recommendations about where and how to start? My spouse has some idea of my challenges with food, but I've largely played down the fact that this is still a prominent issue in my life. Additionally, I'm not sure if I should consider some kind of out- or in-patient treatment, possible medications, or therapy. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

todded

_admin_moderator
Hello! Welcome to the NEDA

Hello! Welcome to the NEDA forums! We would like to let you know that we edited your post to remove detailed descriptions of disordered eating behaviors, as well as calorie numbers, which are not allowed on the forums. You can review our community guidelines here. Thanks for your understanding and please continue posting! 

Periodicmemes
Im sorry you feel this way, I

Im sorry you feel this way, I feel similarly- even the restrict/binge... I just kept saying to my different providers there might be an issue and now I'm starting treatment. I know i have more than other people may but if you don't go to any therapy maybe consider starting SOMETHING at least to talk to SOMEONE about this even if you can't find an ED place at first. I couldn't starting, the closest IOP is 1.5 hrs away but if you're ready enough you'll be able to get somewhere i hope