National Eating Disorders Association

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Amye28n
Bingeing

Been struggling with binge eating disorder and can't seem to get the right help I need. So maybe u can help when I feel hungry and all I can think about is sweets ethier before or after supper and in evening's to. I don't think and have no control and just give in all the time. If I resist it doesn't work and my anxiety gets really bad. It's so frustrating.

alwaysthinking
Distractions

First of all, do you have a therapist that specializes in eating disorders? That would be your first step. Getting one that is helpful is another thing entirely. The other suggestion I have that goes along with having a therapist not replaces it mind you, is to distract yourself as much as possible. When you feel the urge to binge, do some type of pleasurable activity. It's called surfing the urge. You sit with that anxiety and do something else to distract you from the desire to binge. Yes, I know, easier said than done and sometimes it does actually work. Hope that gives you at least a little bit to go on until you can talk with a therapist who can work with you more in depth. The other thing I would suggest is trying to see if you can find a reason for your desire to eat so much. Are you trying to self soothe? Are there feelings that are overwhelming you and then you eat in order to be able to deal with them? Those are things that the therapist would probably help you with. Just some ideas

Amye28n
That's totally me

Thanks for suggestions. I do see a therapist but she kinda knows about eating disorders but I don't think a lot. So yeah maybe I'll have to look for one that specializes in that. I'm so stressed I tried everything even went partial treament for 2 months and still in same boat. That's true with me and my emotions and I have tried distractions and no matter what I always give in cause I love food. It makes me upset that after all the treatment I'm still like this.

sportygirl
Hi Amye28n

I am sorry that you are struggling. I know from experience it is a long run. I hope you will keep going and sometimes it takes more than 1 therapist in order to help you. All therapists have their own vision and their own experience. So for me was that each therapist helped me a little bit further in their own way. Keep going and trust the process you are in, however it will be a good idea to get another therapist involved who has more experience in ED.

Take care!
X

Amye28n
Really struggling

Really anxious and board I tried breathing and distracting tools and still feel this way.I'm so stuck in my ways and worries can't get motivated and tonight I'll probably go with my mom for something to do but when we get together we ended up always bingeing my husband is working and don't have anything to do so I turn to food like sweets I feel this is a endless cycle and want to change but kinda like the good feelings I get from the food. Anyone like this. I really need help getting threw this.

Amye28n
Really struggling

Really anxious and board I tried breathing and distracting tools and still feel this way.I'm so stuck in my ways and worries can't get motivated and tonight I'll probably go with my mom for something to do but when we get together we ended up always bingeing my husband is working and don't have anything to do so I turn to food like sweets I feel this is a endless cycle and want to change but kinda like the good feelings I get from the food. Anyone like this. I really need help getting threw this.

lovetowrite81
Amye28n

Hi Amye28n-

Just wanted to check in & see how you are doing this week? I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone- I struggled with BED for several years and know how difficult it is to feel stuck in what seems like a never-ending cycle. It must be so frustrating to feel like you have been seeking help but are continuing to struggle- I just want to encourage you in that it is a process and sometimes we feel like we're moving backwards or not seeing immediate results- but sometimes all we can do is keep going and putting in the work and trusting the process. I know for me, it took several years of working with a therapist and digging into the underlying issues before the binge eating behavior stopped. I know it feels like you have no control- but I just want to remind you that BED is a mental illness and this is not your fault. But ED does develop as a way to cope with some kind of pain/difficult emotions. The more you can work with your therapist on the root of your anxiety and what role food is playing for you, the more you can start addressing these things. We can talk about strategies for trying to decrease the behavior, but I've found personally that the only way to have lasting freedom is doing the inner work- even though it's not easy. It will be full of ups and downs, but I hope that you are able to be gentle with yourself in the process. We are here for you-- keep us posted on how you are doing <3

chunkymonkey68
Call a friend or distract yourself w/ something thats good for u

Take a refreshing shower, go browse at the stores, take a nice walk, drink some relaxing tea following dinner it really helps me.

Journaling after dinner and including what emotions are u feeling as u crave this snack you mentioned earlier. Otherwise, make an appt to see a shrink. They have meds to help relieve anxiety following meals, and have helped me to relax after a meal.

i drink some oj and then take a brisk walk around a few blocks before returning home and then perhaps eating my veggies if still hungry followed by night tea and PM meds like Motrin for my crampy calves and heel after walking.

Then I just go to sleep. Night binging sometimes occurs so I have mini snacks pre-planned and have 1 of those w/ diluted beverage and then return to my sleep until AM to awaken for my job the next day...Good luck

Amye28n
Struggling with body image and bingeing

Thanks for all the great advice. But been really struggling and binged feel sick and have a lot on my mind.
Been working with therapist but she said it all comes down to me and dietitian said to follow meal plan haven't really been able to.
I went to impatient before seemed to work, but not sure about insurance. I need help bad. Once I eat something want more or when with my mom we binge when we're always together.
I'm disgusted want things to change and be healthy.