National Eating Disorders Association

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
cwb124
10 year old developing eating disorder

HI folks, new here. Wife and I have a 10 year old son who starting around age 4-5 became VERY picky. He used to eat the pureed vegetables we fed him as a baby and most everything else and then the wheels fell off. He has cut his food down to a very few things.

However over the last couple years he's developed what I must consider a serious eating disorder. When nobody is awake yet or when he doesn't think anyone is around, he'll raid the cabinets for any food to be found. While this probably isn't entirely abnormal, some of the things he finds to eat perhaps is. We have recently discovered that he has pillaged out baking cabinet. Stuff that is barely edible on its own, he has cleaned out.

Whenever we go to the store, he sneaks money in his pocket and tries to buy snacks from the checkout isle. When he discovers that we are allowing him to have a treat he gets almost anxious that he will miss out when obviously there's enough for everyone to have one. I just see very odd eating behavior from him, and he's extremely difficult to feed. Won't try ANYTHING new.

He's not overweight now but the way he's going if he keeps this up, he'll have serious health problems. I am not sure what to do. Thanks for listening and any suggestions.

_admin_moderator
Dear cwb124, welcome to the

Dear cwb124, welcome to the forums! We would like to let you know that we edited your post to remove mentions of specific food and disordered eating behaviors, which are not allowed on the forums. You can review our guidelines here. Thank you for your understanding and please keep posting! 

iwanttolive
cwb124

Hi and welcome to the forum. I am sorry your post went a while without a response. I myself am not a parent but I am in recovery from various forms of eating disorders. I am sorry to hear about your son and the struggles he had been going through. I know it must be very difficult for all of you. Is it possible to get him into some form of treatment, such as a day program or inpatient, or outpatient with a therapist? I really just want to offer support and let you know that even thought there weren't reply's you are not alone and perhaps more people will respond. I wish you and your family the best and I hope you find the help needed. Take care,

iwanttolive