National Eating Disorders Association

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
illgetthere
What to do while waiting for help

About 3 weeks ago, I told my primary doctor that I had been suffering with binge eating disorder along with depression and anxiety. She referred me to a psychologist as well as an internist. She said the referral for the psychologist could take months but she was able to get me an appointment with the internist in a week and hopefully the internist would be able to get me in with a psychologist faster. However, they had to reschedule my appointment with the internist for about 20 days.
The problem is I don’t know what to do while I’m waiting for help. I was so open and looking forward to receiving help but I don’t know what to do while I wait. I’m binging almost everyday and I feel like I’m in purgatory waiting to receive the help I need. It may also be important to note that I’m a college student home for the summer and in a couple months I’ll be returning to school out of state so im kinda in a time crunch and the only other person I’ve told about my disorder is a close friend. Does anyone have any advice for what to do while waiting for therapy that helps with recovery? With my disorder, I’ve also gained lots of weight, putting me in the obese category. What can I do while I wait to help with my disorder as well as help me get my health back on track?

alwaysthinking
Neda hotline

Have you tried calling the Neda hotline? I wish I had better advice for you and I know how difficult it can be to be hanging out waiting and waiting and waiting for treatment. I didn't have that heart of an issue with the eating disorder for treatment initially but I am having the same problem for my trauma treatment. So it's not the exact same situation but I understand how difficult it is to be waiting I have utilized crisis lines like crazy recently. They can actually be very useful because they make you feel heard and they really help you. I hope you can just keep holding on and doing the best you can. Again sorry but I don't have any better advice.

sportygirl
Hi illgetthere,

I have/had the same as you. The waiting part is killing. What I tried to do, and they actually told me here on the forum is to write down what is bothering you. like a journal. also you can write down what happens before the ED behavior, during and after. In that way you will know already what kind of triggers the ED. This is already very helpful information for treatment and recovery. You might even find yourself be more aware of those situations and even change certain circumstances.

Take care while you wait and know you can always write here for support.
X

lovetowrite81
Illgetthere

Hello-

Just wanted to check in and see how you have been doing since your post. First of all, I think it's so brave that you were able to reach out for professional help- that is such an amazing step towards recovery and you should be so proud of yourself. I can't imagine how difficult it is to feel like you're stuck in waiting to receive help. I agree with sportygirl that it could be a good idea to journal when you have the urge to binge- as that could help to start developing some insight into what kind of thoughts/emotions/feelings are there. I'm not sure if you could also research any support groups in the area but that could be an idea- I know some of the 12 step literature helped for me in my recovery from BED. In the meantime, feel free to keep posting on here and support. We're here for you <3

illgetthere
lovetowrite81 -

lovetowrite81 -

Thank you so much for reaching out and asking how I’m doing. Since I originally posted, it’s a roller coaster, as BED can be. As I said before, I’ve been trying to lose weight to get to a healthy weight as well as just to feel better. I was doing really well but one day I went out drinking and binged. The next couple days I was so distraught and disappointed that I’ve been binging almost for 3 days straight which just feels like a huge setback and my mental morale hasn’t been too good since. I’ve been journaling consistently for a couple weeks now. What I’ve really found helpful is writing poems. The only problem is usually when I get the urge to binge it’s out of the blue so it’s hard to stop, think, and write. When I get in the mindset to binge, it’s very hard for me to stop what I’m doing and just sit and write. Even if i can sit and write, it’s an uphill battle where I really don’t want to do it and just give in cause it’s easier. So basically while I’m binging, i don’t have the patience to write and after I’m so ashamed and exhausted all I want to do is lay down and not think about it. So to your answer you question, everyday is a different where the good days and great and the bad days are awful. Thank you again for checking in. Have a great day xo

lovetowrite81
I'llgetthere

I just saw your other post and wanted to encourage you in that it does get better. I struggled for numerous years with both orthorexia nervosa and BED, and after therapy and continuing to work through the underlying issues, I have been living in freedom from food-related issues for about 4+ years. And while it is always going to be something to be aware of/manage I honestly never thought I would get to a point where my life wouldn't be consumed by food- and now that is the case. There is hope.

BED is definitely a roller coaster. I know it's so discouraging to feel trapped in the cycle and even after a few days of success, finding ourselves backsliding again. It's so tough. I hope you are able to keep being gentle with yourself in all of it. I'm glad you have found writing poems to be helpful. I can totally relate with feeling like the urge to binge eats and it feels like nothing can stop it from happening in that moment.

Do you meet with the internist next week? I hope you are able to get the help you need soon! We're here for you- keep us posted on how you're doing, I will be thinking of you <3

illgetthere
Thank you so much for the

Thank you so much for the encouragement and support. I am meeting with the internist next week. And recently I told me family which really helped.

lovetowrite81
Yay!

I'm so glad that you were able to be open with your family-- how did they respond? That's such an awesome step! I am also glad that you will be able to get the ball rolling with your appointment next week. Keep us posted on how everything goes! <3

illgetthere
My family was mostly sad that

My family was mostly sad that I was going through this and just want me to get the help I need. I have my appointment with the internist tomorrow, I don’t know what to expect but I’m excited to get the ball moving.

Thank you for the thoughts.

X

lovetowrite81
I'llgetthere

I'm so glad to hear that your family were supportive when you shared with them :)

Thinking of you today, let us know how the appointment goes!

sportygirl
Hi lovetowrite81,

I know it's difficult. And personally I think you are aiming too high. Like if you can write down something without loosing the binge, it will be better to aim for. So for now, just try to postpone for like 5 minutes or so. That will give you space to write something and still the ability to binge when you need to.

I know it feels horrible. But you will be surprised on how much information you can get out of a few journals like this. Perhaps you can find a red lining, something that is similar on all occasion so you don't feel like it's out of the blue and get some grip on it.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing. Take care!
X