National Eating Disorders Association

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Maido
First post

I’ve just discovered my 20 year old daughter is bulimic (she also has PTSD from bullying). She has just come out of a really bad binge/purge cycle.

At present she will not see a doctor (we live in an Asian country which is quite backward regarding mental health issues), go to counseling or take medicine but she knows she has a problem and is trying her best I think. Together we are working on a slow self help thing I found online related to cognitive therapy. We are on day 3.

So in three days she hasn’t been sick and has eaten regular healthy meals.

She is receptive to amino acid therapy and taking supplements and I would like to get advice on this.

So far I have ordered a number of supplements and she is beginning to take them.

She has had no sugar or processed food either and her cravings are now manageable.

Any advice please for a desperate father.

_admin_moderator
Hello Maido and welcome to

Hello Maido and welcome to the forums! We are sorry you are going through this with your daughter, and hope you find the support you seek on the forums. A portion of your post was edited due to mention of specific foods, behaviors, and supplement names. We are unable to provide medical advice, and our community guidelines can be found here: https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/forums/community-guidelines We hope that you continue to post!

Maido
Sorry

Sorry

iwanttolive
Maido

Hi. I am glad you reached out for support. Everyone at one time or another gets a moderator editing out something written at one time or another so don't worry about that. I am just glad you reached out for support and want to help your daughter. That is one of the best things you can do for her, to let her know that you are there for her, that she trusts you and you are being supportive. It is a shame your country doesn't have more help for those struggling with these issues. One thing that might be helpful is to go online and check out some self help books on the topic. I can not recommend any specific books as we are not allowed to but NEDA may have some ideas. You can chat with them and they also have a lot of good resources on their web site. It is wonderful that you are being so supportive, but you also need to take care of yourself. There is a topic, tool kit for parent's that may be helpful here on this site. Also, maybe reading over some of the other posts to see what others have done to work on their recovery. There are recovery stories on the web site as well. I wish you the best, and am sorry I couldn't give you more of an answer. Just that you are supporting your daughter is so helpful. Take care, and please post again.

iwanttolive