National Eating Disorders Association

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
tryingtobebrave
Hard to cope with “small” stressors

Whenever something that would normally be considered mildly stressful or just annoying happens, my mind just gets so stressed and overwhelmed that it shuts down. Like today, my phone battery started having problems and I need to get it replaced this weekend, it’s under warranty, shouldn’t be a big deal, but it’s making me feel so stressed out my body physically can’t relax. I’ve always had this problem and it makes me feel worthless, like maybe I don’t deserve to eat. Or that restricting is the only way to make me feel better/ in control. I know these thoughts are irrational. And I made myself eat today, no matter how much I didn’t want to. I know I need to be vigilant right now with my thoughts with all the increase in ED thoughts lately. I’m just getting down on myself for being so overwhelmed by every little thing.

Homersapien
You're actually not alone in

You're actually not alone in that. It's one of the reasons there are so many forums for recovery from eating disorders - it's a very stressful process. I wish I knew more about it so I could be of more help.

What works for you to let you cool down? Are there any things you can put your mind to which could help you relax?

tryingtobebrave
Thanks for the reply

Adult coloring books usually help me take my mind off things, and funny shows help my mood lighten up. I should make a list of things that help and just keep in my bedroom so I can look at it when I’m too overwhelmed to think straight. A lot of the reason I get overwhelmed so easily is my ptsd, my therapist explained that my brain is already at its threshold for stress all the time from it, so any external stress is overload.

lovetowrite81
Tryingtobebrave

I can definitely relate with this-- I find that I'm either numb to emotions all-together or every little thing affects me so much and the mood swings are very overwhelming. I know for me it contributes to a lot of negative self-talk- like I shame myself for being so emotional or over the top about seemingly nothing. It definitely makes sense that stress and those kind of thoughts could be increasing ED thoughts. Making a list of things that help you to relax/calm down is a good idea. Journaling has been helpful for me in being able to let myself process whatever I'm feeling and helping me release it in a way. I also find that talking to someone in my support system who won't judge is helpful, as they let me vent and remind me that it's okay to express my emotions and they will pass. It's a process of reminding yourself that we can feel our emotions and they will not overtake us/don't last forever.

Proud of you for eating-- I know it's not easy, but you're doing it! Keep fighting the good fight.

Keep us posted <3

letsrecovertogether
I feel you!! Sometimes I just

I feel you!! Sometimes I just tell myself, "the best thing I can do for myself right now is to eat" and no matter how scary it is, I muster up all the courage I have and do it (like you did!). Stay strong, you aren't alone!

_admin_moderator
Resources

We're sorry to hear that you're going through a difficult time. We just wanted to post some resources in case you need to reach out to someone. Crisis Text Line: Text "NEDA" to 741-741 or www.crisistextline.orgNational Suicide Prevention Lifeline: (800) 273-8255 or www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org