National Eating Disorders Association

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
scaredmom1322
The at HOME help that no Doctor, Psychologist, or Psychiatrist can give me

HI! My name is Amy, and I am the mother of a 12 year old girl that is suffering from anorexia. My daughter's struggle begin last spring when she started losing weight because a boy started teasing her about being a FAT COW!!!

She begin this journey weighing in the triple digits last spring, to a low double digit as of recent. I took her to the Doctor in May 2018 with concerns and the Pediatrician told me she was in the normal weight range and her BMI was in normal range, and I got told she was an active girl, and was doing just fine!!! That was when things slowly begin to slip. I told the Pediatrician it wasn't the fact that she was in "normal range" it was that she had lost a certain number of pounds which is a HUGE weight loss for a child in the 6th grade. He assured me, that there was NOTHING wrong with her, of course in my heart I knew differently.

The summer went on, and the weight continued to poor off of her. They told me that I would need to bring her back to the Doctor for a three month check up and lab work and I decided to try taking her to a Family Medicine Professional instead of the Pediatrician.

In August 2018 she was down again, and the Family Medicine Doctor thought it was time to have her see a Clinical Psychologist. She begin seeing a Clinical Psychologist August 6, 2018. During the first 6 weeks of the visits with the Clinical Psychologist were spent with my daughter, the Psychologist, my husband, and myself. WE would go to sessions and I would do 95% of the talking and I wasn't sure why she wasn't spending any individual time with our daughter.

She started seeing her alone, and some sessions were good, and some were not productive at all.....She felt it was appropriate to move her visits to bi-weekly with her progression. My daughter seems to relate o.k. to the Psychologist but, I am not convinced she is 100% the best fit. I would like her to spend more time with her, and less time visiting with us (mom and dad)

Approx, 2 weeks ago she had a re-check up and it didn't go so well this time. She was directly admitted from the Clinic to the hospital for dehydration and low BP. She was back down to her double digit low. Her lab work came back perfect, EKG's came back normal, and she HATED being in the hospital.

She stayed two nights, and she was very sad while there. It was very scary for all of us.
She is now seeing a Psychiatrist, Psychologist, and and doing weekly weigh-ins.

She says she wants to get better, says she is too skinny, but her behaviors show otherwise. She does the sneaky things at meal time. (Dropping food, throws it away when not looking)
But, desperately says she wants to get better.

I am looking for at HOME advice.....
-We are currently doing a meal plan of 6 meals per day.
(Small meals)
-What do other parents do to encourage their child to eat?
-How do you find a fine line between Screaming and yelling to not saying much of anything at all?
-Do any parents use reward systems for their child?
-We are currently using POSITIVE reinforcement every time she does something good, but it just doesn't seem to be enough
-How do parents Cope with the moods and depression
-Have parents tried an anti-depressant and has it been successful for them and their family.
-What tips can you give me to make the home life more comfortable for my family and I

I know this is a lot of information but I am looking for support. Any information and help is much appreciated.
Thank-you!!
Amy

_admin_moderator
Hello and welcome to the

Hello and welcome to the forums scaredmom1322. Your post has been slightly editedt to more adhere to the community guideliness. Users are discouraged from sharing specific numbers.    https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/forums/community-guidelines    Thank you and please continue posting.