National Eating Disorders Association

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
lenderle
How to help anorexic before treatment begins

My 19yo daughter recently confused to us that she is anorexic. We are in the process of finding treatment for her. What is the best want to support her until treatment begins?

iwanttolive
lenderle

Hi. I am sorry to hear about your daughter but it is good that she came to you and let you know. My best suggestion is to ask her what she needs and how best you can help her. Let her know you are there to talk with her if she needs to. Let her know you are there for her and are thankful that she is trusting you. Open dialogue is really good. I wouldn't try to force her to eat or monitor her food as she will be getting help soon. It may cause her to pull away. It is a good sign that she is trusting you right now. Research the hospitals you are looking into. Ask questions about how long meal times are, if they practice intuitive eating, if the patient knows what they will be eating and be filling out their own meal plan or is their food placed before them without them knowing what is being served. Are they allowed in their rooms during the day. Some of these types of questions so your daughter knows what to expect. What model of therapy will be used. I wish you the best and am glad your daughter reached out to you. That is so good. Best to all of you.

iwanttolive

Erin_Patricia1
Hi lenderle,

Hi lenderle,

Welcome to the NEDA online community forums! I am so sorry to hear about your daughter but I agree with iwanttolive, it's great that she came to you about her struggles with anorexia. I can say from personal experience, as someone who struggled with anorexia right around the same age as your daughter, that I did not want help from anyone at that time so it is a great to hear that she came to you instead of keeping it to herself. I'm not sure if you have taken a look at the NEDA Parent Toolkit located on their website? It is a great tool for anyone who wants to understand more about how to support a family member or friend affected by an eating disorder. Here is the link for it:
https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/sites/default/files/Toolkits/par...
Also, all of the suggestions that iwanttolive said are a great start! Please let us know if you need anymore suggestions! You have a listening ear here on the NEDA online community forums!

Erin_Patricia1 <3

scaredmom1322
My daughter is 12, newly

My daughter is 12, newly diagnosed anorexic, and I am looking for guidance and help. Could you please help a lost mother?

iwanttolive
lenderle

Hi. I am just checking in to see how you are and if you found any hospital or program for your daughter. We are here for you.

iwanttolive