National Eating Disorders Association

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
iwanttolive
Suze2

Hi, I was wondering how you are doing and if you moved in with your brother yet? How are things going with your husband and your decision? Is he willing to go to counselling with you? I hope and pray you can work together to mend your marriage. I pray for courage for you to fight the eating disorder and not listen to its voice. Speak out loud to it and tell it no. I purposely do not give the eating disorder an identity. I call it it, or the eating disorder, rather than my, your or ED. I think depersonalizing it helps to take power away from it. So just a thought for you to think about when referring to the eating disorder in your life. You are separate from it. The eating disorder is not you. You are not the eating disorder. You are Suze2. You are your own person. You have qualities that make you special. You are so much more than an eating disorder. I wish you well and hope you sleep well tonight.

iwanttolive

Suze2
Iwanttolive

Thank you iwanttolive for getting in touch again, you are so kind to think of me. I am feeling a bit low but I’m OK. I think you’re right, I think it’s a good way to depersonalise the ED by not giving it a name. My counsellor recently gave me some ‘homework’ part of this was to try and understand the ED by giving it a name etc and to think about what are the positive and negatives of having it. I think, like you this makes it more personal and more of a friend and therefore more difficult to get rid of! So thank you for illustrating that for me. I haven’t moved in with my brother yet, I’m speaking with him this weekend with a view to sorting that out. I’m hoping to only stay with him for a few weeks so I can rethink my situation and to put things into perspective. I hope it will make me come to my senses and make me realise what I am giving up! I love my husband very much and I don’t want to give up on ‘us’, I want to give up my ED. I think the break will do us both good. How are things with you also? Do you remember a post I wrote some time back to you? I’m not sure you read it or not. I mentioned that I was also in my fifties, doesn’t look her age etc and that I felt we had alot in common. Let me know if you did or didn’t, take care for now suze2xcc

terrancescharff...
Eating Disorders

I am a Male who has struggled with Anorexia and Bulimia for several years.So I try to do my best in recovery each and everyday.

iwanttolive
suze2

Hi. I am glad my thoughts about separating the eating disorder from ourselves was helpful, and timely. I don't remember if I responded to that particular post but I respond to a lot and may have. If you have it do you want to resend it? Just go to it and hit I edit and then hit forum and it should bring it to the top. I had an eating disorder from when I was sixteen to about fifty. I struggled really bad five years ago and was in the hospital for six months, not my first long term hospitalization but my last. This I attribute to Jesus, my parents and my desire to be free from it and I am. I have been free from all behaviors and urges for two months but was working towards recovery for a longer time than that. I have been recovered from anorexia for about four or five years. It is wonderful not to be afraid of food and to be able to eat whatever I want. I have truly been set free. I am also free from all thoughts and urges to self harm. It is indeed a miracle and I believe this with all my heart. I hope one day you will be penning these same words and I believe it can happen for you just as it is true for me. Take care and we will "talk" soon.

iwanttolive

NEDA is here to support you during the evolving COVID-19 outbreak. The health of our community, especially those who are most vulnerable to the virus' serious complications, remains paramount. To access resources that can provide free and low-cost support, please click here.

Resources