National Eating Disorders Association

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
kerrypat
Looking for ongoing support

Hello,

I am the mother of a 16 year daughter diagnosed with anorexia and OCD. She is working to recover through therapy and medication. I find myself constantly questioning if we are doing enough to help her. Is there anyone who is working on recovery with a child that would like to keep in regular contact? I don't have a support group in my area and would love to be in touch with other parents who would like to share their journey.

Thank you!

ChooseRecovery
This forum can be your support group

Hi kerrypat, many of us on this forum have children suffering from eating disorders, and as parents, most of us are questioning if we are doing enough to help them. If we're doing the right things to help them. If we're doing the wrong things. Too much. Too little. It's so hard to know. The good news for you us that your daughter is working to recover. The other side of the story is that recovery is not a straight line. There are many ups and downs, steps forward and steps back, bumps and curves along the way. Please keep posting here about you and your daughter's journey and others are likely to respond and share as well.

_admin_moderator
Hi kerrypat, It is great that

Hi kerrypat, It is great that you're reaching out about your daughter and looking for support. Just a reminder that contact information cannot be given out on the forum, but as the user below suggested, this forum is a great resource for support in itself. Also, if you're interested, you may contact the NEDA helpline at 1-800-931-2237 for information on how to find support groups in your area. Thanks!

8MosIn
Hang in there...

Hi kerrypat...my daughter is 15 and was recently discharged from an inpatient program. Like you I continually wondered if I was doing too much, not enough, questioning myself constantly. We always had a good relationship, but I learned that sometimes I had to breathe and listen. The mom in me just wanted to dive right in and fix the unfixable. I'm sure you understand the frustration that mindset causes both you and your daughter.

I'm glad your daughter is working on recovery. Keep up with therapy and meds. Family therapy helps a great deal too. It helped my other daughter and myself become supportive without smothering. Family therapy really offers a safe place where everyone can communicate and carry forward those skills at home so you don't feel like you're walking on eggshells all the time.

There are things that come up that my daughter will take offense to and that I had no idea would bother her. But she brings it up via conversation or text, calmly helping me to understand. I can't stress enough how important it is to listen.

Take every day as it comes and do your best to take care of yourself too. I wish you and your daughter the very best!!

jklexi1
kerrypat looking for ongoing support

I am in a very similar situation with my 14 year old (15 in July) She spent 53 days in treatment from Jan 8 - March 2 of this year. We have no therapy in our area so we have to travel 350 miles round trip to see her therapist and dietican. The best we can do is every other week, we pay out of pocket as non take our insurance. So travel, gas and therapy costs are intense. My daughter is not follwoing her meal plan and I feel like we're slipping babck into our old routines of eating only frutis/vegetables, no fats, carbs or sweets, etc.. I am at a loss. We are going to try family therapy in June. Her therapist just emailed me that if she does not start following her meal plan she will have to refer her to a higher level of care wich in our case means back to treatment. I feel like i'm living a nightmare and I can't wake up!

scaredmom1322
HI! I would love to talk with

HI! I would love to talk with you if you have time. I would love to know what other parents are doing, no support groups in my area and not sure if I am ever doing the right thing. Please reach out to me if you can.

helene.r.greenb...
Support group

My daughter is 24 and has an eating disorder. Binging. She has just had a relapse and I am in need of a support group. I live in the Rockville. Maryland area. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

kelly_mackay
in touch

Hi
I would like to support you! I have an 11 year old daughter who has just started therapy It is beyond hard!!

mauricio.malago...
in touch

I am a father of a 12 year old recently out of a outpatient treatment facility and in therapy. I would love to be in touch with similar parents.

_admin_moderator
Hello, we are writing to let

Hello, we are writing to let you know that we edited your post to remove your email address. For safety reasons, sharing personal contact information is not allowed on the forums. You can review our community guidelines here: https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/forums/community-guidelines. Please keep posting! 

Savedbygrace
The best thing you can do

Is post on this website since, for safety reasons, we are not allowed to post personal information on here. You are not alone.