National Eating Disorders Association

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
wolde123
Weight restoring

I’m 19 and am currently in treatment for my ED. I was underweight for my size and age but I’ve been restoring weight. Everyone says it’s a good thing and that I look good, but I have a hard time trusting them when all I’ve known my whole life is that more weight is bad, and I see myself getting bigger. I wanted to talk to someone who could relate and ask them if restoring weight is actually a good thing?

claire_bear
wolde123

Hi wolde123! Thank you for sharing your story. ED's are a tough thing to navigate, aren't they? Restoring weight, from what we are told, good thing but also very scary. We aren't doctors here, but many of us on the forums have experienced that same "dread" of gaining weight. As part of your recovery, are you seeing a therapist? In my recovery, it was/has been difficult for me to overcome my ED because I also suffer from OCD and depression. Obsessing over calories became a controlled behavior for me, which I wouldn't have been able to get through on my own without some professional help. If not, I found a support group through NEDA that I love. Have you taken a look? https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/find-treatment/treatment-and-sup...

Please be well, and continue to post and let us know how you are. Please remember you aren't alone! <3

jskoeni
Don't lose hope

Hi wolde123,
Like claire_bear said, getting to weight restored and accepting it is a hard and scary process. Do you have a medical team or doctor that are monitoring you during this process? I know when I was in treatment, it was really helpful to talk to my therapist, doctor, and nutritionist about the weight changes and how it was connected and necessary in my recovery.

The forums are a safe place to ask question and get input from others. Sometimes just knowing that you are not alone is really helpful. Also, NEDA is here to help us. They have trained volunteers that can assist you.

NEDA Contact:
Helpline 1-800-931-2237
Chat at www.myneda.org
Text "NEDA" to 741741

Please keep us posted on how you are doing. We care and support you. Recovery is a fluid process and can be challenging. You are not alone in that process. We are all in various stages of the ED and/or recovery.

eblclinic
Don't Worry

There is nothing bad in the restoring weight. Every person wants to look fit and healthy and if you think you are underweight then you must contact a Naturopathic doctor, who can help you to make a proper diet plan and help to solve your problem in the best way.

Savedbygrace
Actually

A registered dietitian is a better option to set up a meal plan.