NEDA's Federal Eating Disorders Lobby Day
|Hosted by||Co-Sponsored by|
Stand up. Speak out. Make a Difference!
Thank you to our co-sponsors - The Academy for Eating Disorders and the International Association of Eating Disorders Professionals - all of our partners, and each and every advocate for making NEDA's first Federal Lobby Day a great success. Coming out despite a government shutdown and terrible weather, 200 advocates assembled on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC on October 10, 2013 to educate 210 members of Congress and push for important legislation.
Our presence and your voice lead to real progress! As a result of our meetings, we were able to achieve the following:
- Received a committment from Rep. Chris Gibson (R-NY) to introduce a House version of S.562, the Mental Health Access Improvement Act of 2013. Sponsored by Senators Ron Wyden (D-OR) and John Barrasso (R-WY), the bill would amend title XVIII of the Social Security Act (Medicare) to provide for the reimbursement of services provided by Marriage and Family Therapists (MFTs) and Mental Health Counselors (MHCs) under Medicare part B.
- 10 new members of the House have already signed on to join the National Eating Disorders Awareness Caucus last week, with even more members pledging to join the caucus soon.
- 6 new members of the House signed on to support the Federal Response to Eliminate Eating Disorders (FREED) Act.
For more information, check out our blog post with a full re-cap of the day and a photo slideshow! And review the Master List of Lobby Day Appointments (PDF)!
Thank You Notes:
To build on the momentum of the movement, we encourage you to send a thank you note to everyone you met with on Lobby Day. This letter will keep the issue of eating disorders at the forefront of your legislator’s mind and the lines of communication open.
Here are some tips to think about when writing your note:
- Make it personal: Try to include a little anecdote or memory from your visit.
- Refresh their memory: Briefly reiterate your key talking points.
- Get it to the right person: These websites will help you contact your Representative or Senator
- Be heartfelt: Thank them for their time and express why the meeting was so important to you.
- Let us help: Feel free to use the sample letters below as guides!
Meet Our Co-Sponsors and Partners!
The larger our group, the louder our message. Thank you to all of the organizations that have joined forces with us to take our message to members of Congress!
The Anxiety and Depression Association of America
Eating Disorder Foundation, Colorado
Eating Disorder Hope
Eating Disorder Network of Maryland (EDN-Maryland)
The Elisa Project
Fairwinds Treatment Center
Helping Other People Eat (HOPE)
National Association of School Psychologists
Newton-Wellesley Eating Disorders
Project HEAL: Help to Eat, Accept and Live
Residential Eating Disorders Consortium (REDC)
Rhode Island Eating Disorder Association
Shoreline Center for Eating Disorder Treatment
T.H.E. Center for Disordered Eating